Sunday, April 19, 2009

Comfort

My brother Jim and my niece Tammy have both been encouraging me to write again. I guess it has been awhile. It's amazing how time flies. I was going to write something profound there, but I couldn't think of anything better. Time does fly when you have a project going or work deadlines, or in my case - anticipating the next challenge Dora the Explorer will face THIS week and whether or not Boots her sidekick (and a monkey) will be able to help or be a hindrance. Yes - Dora the Explorer is a cartoon character I acknowledge this, but I've grown accustomed to the formula used to teach small children basic concepts on this TV show and I find comfort in it.

Shifting gears...

I began a watercolor painting class two weeks ago. I've taken one other class about 6 years ago and enjoyed it, but other things took precedence and I allowed my paints to collect dust. It's been surprisingly fun to get them out again. I don't paint well at all, but I enjoy the process. There are rules and steps to follow. The subject changes with each new sheet of paper but the basic process remains the same. There's a relaxing quality about the sameness of it while you work. Then suddenly the steps stop and you are required to use your own creativity. It's rather like a long drive. If things go along as they should. You follow the rules and move along the road at a good clip until the dumb guy in the other car cuts you off and you have to fight for control, or a deer runs across the road and you run into a ditch and ruin your car. (Yes, I'm also known as Little Mary Sunshine...) I do seem to be getting far away from my train of thought here.

Anyway...

I believe my point here (somewhere) is about the comfort you find in sameness. In routine. In following the rules (traffic rules don't count-let's not get crazy here).

I'll try harder next time to come up with a better subject.

:)

No comments: