Friday, January 16, 2009

I've had a great deal of fun this week deciding how to spend my winnings. It's amazing how much fun it is to spend 'free' money. So far I've purchased a new printer, a shredder, some decorative items, and the best of all...a new vacuum.

This isn't just 'any' vacuum. Its a Dyson. When I made the decision that this was something I really needed I did a little research and found the least expensive place to purchase it was at Costco. I excitedly drove to Costco and found a parking place - NOT an easy thing to do - and walked into the store with single-minded purpose. I loaded the box into my cart and started to wheel it to the checkout. I noticed immediately the glances and looks of downright envy from several of the other shoppers as I made my way forward. Several women commented on my purchase, one even stopped me on my way out to tell me how jealous she was of my new equipment.

I was happy and anxious to get home and try it out. I dragged the large box into the house and proceeded to open it As I tipped back the cardboard lid, I swear I heard an angel chorus. This is the epitome of household equipment! Just about the only thing it won't do is cook supper. OK, perhaps thats an exaggeration - but it is AWESOME. I'm a fairly mechanically inclined person, but even I had to resort to actually reading the instructions, but read I did. Then...I was ready.

I plugged it into an outlet and gave the on/off switch a test. The motor roared into action. I quickly turned it off, my heart beating rapidly. The excitement was almost more than I could take. I had to decide which carpet to clean first! I decided on the living room. I moved into the room and switched the machine on again. Wow! This thing could even pick up dirt from a clean rug! I moved on to another room, each time being amazed at what I was seeing in the clear plastic recepticle. My household tool had made my gloomy day into a blazing victory of gleaming surfaces.

But, with great technology comes great responsibility. It has been a few days now and every time a crumb ends up on the carpet, I feel compeled to vacuum. I'm hoping that, like any new 'toy', the newness will wear off. And soon. My time-saving device is taking up all my time.

Go figure.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm green

akaneymd said...

How I envy you!
I'm attracted by Dyson,though my house is a small apartment (
company housing for employee) and I have only one small carpet.
I am negotiating with my husband under the pretext of clean air from dyson for our 2 babies.