Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Secret Sea Garden

A few weeks ago, when the family was all here, we took a hike on the beach around Cascade Head. The only way to get to this place is to hike. I started the hike with them but had to turn back because of some arthritis issues that particular day. I was disappointed, but vowed to go back another day. That day was yesterday.

It was unusually warm for the Oregon Coast last evening. The usual cool breeze was no where to be found and I was itching for a nice walk. I checked the tides (Yes, Amy I do that) and knew that it was outgoing and near low tide. I found a place to park my car a little closer to the spot I wanted to go with an easy beach access point. It was evening, but the sun was still up and I figured I had about an hour, so I set out.

I don't usually go to far when I'm alone because I figure I'm a little more vulnerable to problems at this stage of my life, but the lure of the place was just too strong. I was amazed as I moved farther along the beach away from 'civilization' how quickly the scenery reverted to wilderness. I looked up at high cliffs on one side and the crashing sea on the other. Ahead I could see huge other-worldly rock shapes that seemed to be dropped haphazardly on the sand. The cliffs had suffered many landslides leaving a huge alluvial fan at the bottom.

I reached a rock wall that I would have to climb over to go on. It wasn't very high, but still slippery from the marine growth on it so I used caution but made it easily to the other side. The rock shapes around me were surrounded by sand. I found caves and tide pools. Everywhere I looked I could see huge colorful star fish attached to the rocks. They were orange and purple and in the evening light almost fluorescent. The waves were crashing against other huge rock shapes not far away and splashing fifteen feet into the air. The only other people in the area were a few older couples and dogs. I found one particularly large and deep cave and looked carefully inside. It was dark and large and looked like a perfect place to hide a pirates treasure.

The sun was quickly setting, so I reluctantly started the hike back. I was hesitant to leave because I felt so enchanted in the place, but reality - as usual - was rearing its ugly head and I would have to move on. As I hiked down the beach, the moon shown as a crescent just above the horizon. I could see the planet Venus to its left and the colors of the sunset. It was truly beautiful and I hope to return one day soon. Next time I'll carry my camera.

(Note: I returned the following week with my brother Dave, Fran and Frans' daughter and grandson Jodee and Payton  AND my camera.)

No comments: