Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Another 4th of July has come and gone. It seems almost impossible that its mid-summer already.

We didn't spend the 4th with our usual group of friends in the traditional way...food and games. This year we went to Amy's house in Vancouver to work on some projects. I had it in the back of my mind that we would go to Ft. Vancouver which in the past has always had an amazing display. I mentioned that to Amy and she had to tell me that those fireworks had been cancelled. I was a little disappointed but figured we'd just watch the kids in the neighborhood and their sparklers and call it good. Wow...was I surprised!

In the state of Washington BIG fireworks are legal for purchase by just about anyone. I'm talking full-size-what-we-used-to-go-to-the-stadium and ooooh and ahhh over fireworks. Apparently this was a huge year for sales as well. We started to hear the booms and went out to the driveway to look. It was absolutely amazing. Every direction you looked you could see the colorful lights taking turns dancing in the sky. Sometimes by chance, everyone would set them off at about the same time and you would get a 360 degree show. I've truly never seen so many fireworks in my entire life. Not even at Disneyland. It went on non-stop for nearly two hours. My grandson Ben was very excited and kept yelling "this is just like StarWars!"

After a time, I started wondering about the cumultive cost of all this fun. By my casual computation we were watching literally hundreds of thousands of dollars blow up in the sky. Before long my imagination had each burst of color turn into glowing fountains of coins.

It was a memorable evening and one I will remember for a good long while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Deb, I was just reading your blog and thoughts of way back before you and David came into our world. The Stewart's, your family our family and friend spent the 4th out at the Rincon on the beach with a big BBQ with a big bonfire going. And when darkness arrived we had so many fire works going off, it was simply amazing. And after sitting down and roasting our marshmallows. That was great fun and boom no more when they band open fireworks in Ventura County. Thanks for your writings brings back a lot of memories. P S You are a wonderful writer you bring out a lot of emotions. Keep writing