Sunday, November 8, 2009

Joe

My brother Jim - our family patriarch, called me earlier this week to tell me that my self-imposed ban on writing was not acceptable. He said he actually likes to read what I write. I'm not sure why because my thoughts are usually disjointed and my facts just a tad-bit off. Respecting my elders (oh I am SO going to pay for that one...) has always been important to me so I will comply.

When I was speaking to Jim, my nephew Joe popped in to visit his dad, so I spoke to him for a few moments. I whined a little about my big brother giving me grief about not writing and he mentioned that his dad had talked to them about my blog and encouraged them to read it. He artfully side-stepped the question about whether he actually had read it. Joe should run for public office. I mentioned one of the stories I ALWAYS tell about Joe when the family gets together. To me it was hilarious, poignant - has all the elements that a family story should. I know Joe wishes I would forget it.

Joe was one of those little kids who was always in his own world. I suspect that imaginary world involved a lot of big trucks, tractors, and perhaps a super-hero or two. We'll never know. He wasn't big on sharing his world with the casual acquaintance. One day I actually thought I was getting a glimpse into the caring person he would become.

He was perhaps 4 or 5 years old. He had been wandering around my parents large yard and playing. I was watching from the window and at one point saw that he had picked up what appeared from my vantage point, to be a rolly-poly bug. As I watched he gently cradled the bug in his hands and spoke to it tenderly. I couldn't hear the words but the body language was clear. He was speaking terms of endearment to the little creature. He smiled as he talked to her and with one finger gently petted her. He laughed as she walked up his arm. My heart was so full thinking of all the tenderness and care I was seeing. I was misting up at the sweetness and joy in his face. He continued to play with the bug for several more moments.

Then he dropped the bug on the concrete and smashed it with the toe of his shoe, grinding it well into the driveway.

Could you hear a needle scratching across a record right then? I sure could. He turned, still smiling and wandered off to play something else. For me as an observer, it was one of those 'huh???" moments.

Joe is grown now and a dad. He's a good dad and the care and love he shows his children is evident. He and his beautiful wife Leslie have three great kids; Nate, Evan and Elizabeth. Evan and Elizabeth have taken over the title my brother Dave and I have carried all our lives. Evan and Lizzie are now "The Twins".

I'm proud of Joe. He's a hard worker and a good dad. He didn't turn out to be a serial killer like I had worried after the 'bug incident'.

I'm just kidding about that last part of course.

Really.

No comments: