Thursday, October 1, 2009

Art Is Subjective...

I've been staring at my painting desk for a day and a half now trying to get up the gumption to get busy. I have so many different pictures in my mind. I also have a half dozen unfinished pictures next to the table.

Sigh.

One of the paintings is of a building in Pittsburgh where my son went to school. It has turned out to be a thorn in my side. How many freaking windows can one building have??? I just realized while looking at it is that I never determined where the sun (light) was coming from. That is very important when you are painting to help make the flat painting (whatever your subject is) look dimensional.

Another painting is one I started as a study in shape. The idea is to use an item you are unfamiliar with that has a lot of dimension and work it into a painting. This particular one is of a clarinet on a table. It is sitting on top of several sheets of music. The entire painting has a golden glow, but somehow it just doesn't look right. It's as if I'm missing a lot of the story. Technically speaking, it is probably one of my best paintings, but something just isn't right. I can tell it's not right but I can't seem to fix it. My frustration is great. When I get frustrated I get angry. When I get angry I tend to do dumb things. This one may end up in the trash. I suppose that's dumb but I don't see any way out of it. It will just never look right to me.

The other option with these paintings that don't work for me is to start something new on the back side of the paper. That idea is looking better and better each day.

Maybe I should stick with making jewelry....

No comments: